I'm holding this giveaway to spread awareness of modern slavery. You may think that slavery ended with the Civil War, but there are actually more people in slavery today than there was before emancipation.
You have a chance to win 20 Valentines Mini-Cards pictured above just for learning a little about slavery. To enter, read the 10 facts below and then fill out the Rafflecopter form at the bottom of this post.
10 Facts about Modern Slavery
- There are more slaves today than in any other time in modern history--around 27 million.
- Slavery is illegal everywhere, but nevertheless is extremely widespread. Slavery exists even in developed nations, like the United States.
- The average cost of a slave around the world is $90.
- The slave trade today is commonly called "human trafficking." Human trafficking includes trafficking for forced labor and forced prostitution.
- Human trafficking is the fastest growing criminal industry in the world, second in size only to drug dealing, with the illegal arms trade running alongside.
- Around 80% of human trafficking victims are women and girls.
- 50% of human trafficking victims are under 18.
- Worldwide, there are nearly two million children in the commercial sex trade.
- After being forced into prostitution, the average life expectancy for a child prostitute is 7 years.
- 1,000s of victims are trafficked into the US every year.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
SOURCES FOR 10 FACTS:
1. AlterNet 2. BBC Ethics Guide: Modern Slavery 3. DoSomething.org 4. Wikipedia 5 - 8. International Justice Mission's Sex Trafficking Fact Sheet 9. Traffic 911 10. Free The Slaves.