October 14, 2011

Aloha Friday - Fair Trade

This month is Fair Trade Month, "where Fair Trade brands and supporters come together to raise awareness about the importance of equitable labor practices that ensure workers earn fair wages in safe conditions" (GoodBlog).  I love fair trade ( I like the idea that the people who help make the product are paid fairly and LOVE knowing that the product is slave-free).  But, honestly, most of what I buy isn't fair trade.  I'd like it to be...I'd like all of it to be, but three things get in my way...
  1. Cost
  2. Availability
  3. Convenience 
Cost
Yes, fair trade sometimes costs more, but not always.  For instance, the fair trade gift items I've bought from The Hunger Site cost less then similar items I saw at the mall (even when shipping was factored in).

Availability
There's some things that just aren't available to buy fair trade...yet!

Convenience
There's other things that are available, but not convenient.   For instance, Halloween candy.  I CAN get it, but its not available in any of the stores I shop at...so I have to order online ahead of time.

So, do I beat myself up for this?  Nope.  I focus on what I can do in stead of what I can't.  I try to buy free trade where it's feasible and reasonable to do so.  For instance, my chocolate habit...there is free trade chocolate at the supermarket, and though it's in the gourmet isle and costs a little more then some other brands, I can afford to eat a little less and pay more for that.   I figure this helps support a free trade company, and maybe sends a message to big brand companies too (if they see fair trade succeeding they might try it too), and it keeps those products on the shelf and not in mail order.  (Oh, and here's a cool tool to help you find fair trade products near you.)

So, here's my question for you for Aloha Friday today (the question meme I participate in here now and then):

Have you ever tried a fair trade product, and if so what did you try and what did you think of it?

7 comments:

  1. I have tried several Fair Trade items, including coffee and they have always been great quality and worth a little more money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so interesting. I've never heard of Fair Trade Items. That's what I love about blogging, you really do learn things here.

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know for sure I'm using their lip balms!

    Very interesting info

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had some coffee and it was pretty good : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard of Fair Trade, but have never tried any of the products.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of Fair Trade before - I'm going to have to look into that, I'm intrigued! :)

    Aloha: (Not So) Express Care

    ReplyDelete