July 19, 2010

Giving Away A Wedding Dress

I've been married for more than 10 years...very happily. And the weekend before last I finally let go of my wedding dress.

My dressw was beautiful and I felt beautiful in it...pearls and lace on the boddice, princess waist, buttons down the back leading to a cluster of rosettes above a full skirt, exactly what I had pictured as a little girl (minus the puffed sleaves).

But it didn't take long to decide that it was best to let it go. I knew how I felt when I was offered my mother's wedding dress (non-enthused). It was not my style and I felt sure that if I had a little girl that some day she would want her OWN dress too...not mine. Plus, we were short on closest space and money back then, and I thought this would help. I put up flyers in our apartment and advertised in on wedding classifieds. Got a few nibbles...but no bites.

So, the dress traveled with us through three more apartments, and the addition of three children...all boys. Every now and then I'd try to sell it with no luck, and it was too old to consign. We weren't poor newlyweds anymore...so money wasn't the issue. What bothered me now was the idea that my dress might just sit in our closest and never be worn again. So, when we had our garage sale I also put an add on Craigslist: "FREE WEDDING DRESS...come get it!"

The girl who took it home was young...if she was 20 I would have been surprized, but then, when I was 20 I looked like a junior higher, so she could have been older than she looked. I felt good as I watched her walk out of our garage with that that big froofy wedding dress under her arm, and hoped she would feel as beautiful in it as I had.

Do you still have your wedding dress? Are you ready to let go? If so, you can find places to donate it here...or just give it away on craigslist. *Smile*

No comments:

Post a Comment